This photo is from an actual engagement.
The color key is:
- Orange - Primary business system
- Purple - Communication via phone, fax or email, or leave message
- Pink - Wait for response / Delay
- Blue - Manual form completion - a paper form
- Hot Green - Spreadsheet, sticky note, or online something
- Sea Green - Manual process - pick it up and deliver it somewhere
Notice the Red tags we added to denote enterprise risk from process failure or potential disconnect.
We led a complete process mapping event for a manufacturing company that processed 30,000 customer orders last year. We worked with them to detail their processes from Quote to Cash. We divided their business into major 'functions', gathered the users in each function together and identified the steps. Every single step.
Working with their controller, we then applied staff costs to the teams that performed each function and determined the average cost of a transaction, not including the production.
Then we went back and looked for waste: Non value added effort. We found opportunities to reduce the steps and eliminate some forms, cutting the cost by over 50%. That 50% went directly to the bottom line.
The opportunities are huge, and getting a visual representation of how the business works makes it much easier to envision improvements.